babies

Friday, February 12, 2010

Lining up the ducks...

We are in the midst of a wonderful visit to Salt Lake City. A lot less hectic than our Christmas visit. Auntie Cory even babysat Michelle ALL DAY so I could take a telemark class with my dad taught by Cory's husband. Everyone had a wonderful time. We wondered if Michelle just sort of thought Cory was mommy, but I think she knew the difference. We may be identical twins but there is NOTHING identical about the state of our boobs right now and Michelle is not fooled by imposter boobs. It was really a landmark event really. I have never left Michelle alone for more than a couple of hours and usually only with Barry. The fact that she was perfectly happy in the arms of another woman gives me mixed feelings of sadness and relief. My little girl is growing up. Even if I had not lugged six pounds of frozen breast milk with me, I could have left her for the day and she would have survived on avocado and jars of organic baby food. Because have I mentioned that she is a GREAT eater? She loves every food we've tried and likes to eat lots of it. No finicky eaters in the Martin house! Of course, my only method of survival for the day was my hand-held breast pump that I used both going up and coming down the canyon. I swear, since she started solids I have turned into a freaking cow! It seems like every 3 hours I am fully engorged. I guess if I could back off the pumping the supply and demand would back off to Michelle's pace but I am NOT a fan of engorgement and can't seem to lay off the pump until her next feeding. But I digress off the topic of this post.

Lining up the ducks. Plan. Move back to Salt Lake in April. Challenge. The job market. Even as a Registered Nurse, it is NOT like it was 5 years ago when I applied for 5 positions, got 5 offers and had my pick of where to work. Everyone is scaling back. On top of it all HR at the University hospital is going through some changes that made getting in touch with nurse recruitment seem virtually impossible. But it is all about connections. Yes, there is Cory, the Neuro ICU super-nurse who happens to be my twin sister but that only goes so far. I still had to get my foot in the door so I got in touch with my old manager who was wonderful enough to arrange a meeting and connect me directly with a nurse recruiter. She was optimistic about finding me a job and was very promising considering my diverse acute care experience. So the wheels are turning. Turning. Turning.

No comments: