babies

Sunday, March 14, 2010

"Danger" Meets More Milestones


And this is just one of the amazing things Michelle mastered this week. I swear it happened overnight. One day, can't even hold a sippy cup, the next day, she's a freakin' master!!! At lunch and dinner, Michelle demonstrated the fine motor skill of the pincher grasp, picking up sticky rice and black beans and shoving them into her mouth...well...okay, there were more misses than hits when it came to actually finding the mouth-hole, but she definitely gets an A for effort. The crawling is still a work in progress though she is now officially Army Crawling. This has made a huge difference in her mobility and thus a less frustrated baby. However, as can be expected with her increased mobility, her separation anxiety has ramped up too. Not all the time, but sometimes she just totally freaks out when I walk into the other room! Of course, this too shall pass. And though I know I am just hearing what I WANT to hear, I swear to God, this kid has said "Dog-gy" (or Dad-dy) over a half a dozen times.

We have also nicknamed Michelle "Danger". I swear, she looks for the most dangerous thing and tries to grab it, put it in her mouth, or bring it down on her head. "Oh look! It's a weighted exercise ball. Let me roll that on my fingers. Oh look! It's a cupboard door. Let me smash my fingers in it. Oh look! It's a candle. Let me burn myself with it. Oh look! It's the sharp edge of the fireplace, let me bang my head into it. Oh look! It's an electrical outlet. I wonder what would happen if I stuck something in it. Oh look! It's an object the perfect size to occlude my airway. Let me put that in my mouth! Oh look!...." Of course, we are conscientious of her thought processes and have therefore thwarted any catastrophes. It is inevitable that one day she will have big learning boo boos, but I would rather those NOT wind us up in the ER!

No comments: